[ Concerts Music in Schools ]
Yale Jazz Ensemble performs benefit concert at the John C. Daniels School on April 4
Featuring the Yale Jazz Ensemble, directed by Thomas C. Duffy
In the twilight of the evening, John C. Daniels School will hold a benefit concert, Jazz Under The Stars, on Monday, April 4, at 7 pm. The hour-long concert, featuring the Yale Jazz Ensemble under the direction of Thomas C. Duffy, will take place in the courtyard at John C. Daniels School (JCD). Audience members are welcome to bring blankets or cushions.
All proceeds from this benefit concert will go to purchase new, high-quality instruments for JCD band students. These instruments will provide the opportunity for more advanced playing, and they will go with the students as they matriculate at high school and beyond.
The Yale Jazz Ensemble, a seventeen-piece big band, will perform a wide variety of music, from the music of standard swing bands to progressive jazz compositions. The concert will also include a special performance of Irving Berlin’s “Cheek to Cheek,” arranged by Garth Neustadter, featuring vocalist Stasha Rosen.
Thomas C. Duffy is the Director of Bands at Yale University and a professor at the Yale School of Music. Dr. Duffy will lead the YJE and will invite selected John C. Daniels students to perform with this prestigious ensemble. According to Duffy, “We are proud to support the mission of John C. Daniels School. It is our hope to contribute to the musical education to these aspiring student musicians. Plus, it is a wonderful way to contribute back to our community.”
In just three short years, the music program at JCD has flourished and has 55 member students ranging from second grade to eighth grade. This program has been recognized for its exceptional achievements. These accomplishments include:
- 14 members of the JCD band were accepted into the prestigious concert band, orchestra, and/or flute choir at the Neighborhood Music School through a rigorous audition process membership.
- 9 JCD student musicians, an unprecedented number, through a highly selected audition process paneled by music teachers from across the state of Connecticut, participated in the CMEA Southern Region Festival March 4th – 5th, 2011.
- 18 members passed the audition to participate in the Yale/New Haven Public Schools All-City Band
- 8 students were accepted to the Morse Summer Music Academy for the summer of 2010
- Six band members will compete in the Yale-New Haven Solo Competitions in May, 2011. Last year, all three JCD student musicians who entered the competition won awards.
The JCD Music Program continues to grow and improve with many younger students looking forward to the day they can be members of this band. With support from teachers, parents and the community, those students’ hopes and dreams will become a reality.
Tickets to the concert are available with a suggested donation of $5 for adults; children attend free. To reserve your tickets, please contact John Miller at 203-623-8691 or by email.