[ Students & Alumni ]

Hollywood film composer Thomas Newman releases collaborative album with Rick Cox

Newman is a "versatile talent…fond of experimentation… The result is distinctive, often haunting music that can be lush and melodic or stark and edgy."
— Los Angeles Times
October 28, 2014
ThomasNewman

Thomas Newman, composer

Thomas Newman ’77BA, ’78MM and Rick Cox released the album 35 Whirlpools Below Sound on Cold Blue Music in October. This jointly composed and performed collection of 19 electro-acoustic works has been slowly developing over time. Newman, a 12-time Oscar nominee and six-time Grammy winner, and noted new-music composer/performer Rick Cox have been collaborating for 25 years.

The music has been called both enigmatic and eclectic, exploring a somewhat improvisational world through its series of sometimes interlinked, sometimes contrasting pieces built of often mysterious and fantastical juxtapositions of sounds.

Newman is a highly regarded film-music composer (WALL-E, The Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty) who has also written non-film-related works for such ensembles as the Kronos Quartet and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. While at Yale, Newman studied with Jacob Druckman, Bruce MacCombie, and Robert Moore.

35 Whirlpools Below Sound represents a departure away from Newman’s previous and acclaimed work in film music. (Newman has performed Cox’s music on two previous Cold Blue CDs.) Cox, who has collaborated and recorded with Jon Hassell, Thomas Newman, Ry Cooder, Peter Freeman, Chas Smith, and many others, has had his music released on seven previous Cold Blue CDs.

Listen to selected tracks for free on SOUNDCLOUD

Acclaim

“Definitely consider picking up this recording by composers and multi-instrumentalists Thomas Newman and Rick Cox…. [T]hey’ve created an eerie and fascinating soundscape that will be pretty much unlike anything else you’ve heard before .”
— CD HotList: New Releases for Libraries

Links

More info on THOMAS NEWMAN

More info on RICK COX

For more info on the album, see COLD BLUE MUSIC

COMMENTS ( 2 )

Hello,

I am aware that you are the music producer for teh new James Bond film, Spectre. I do not know the workings of making up a film soundtrack, or even if you are involved. However, I have a suggestion for a song that could be included in some way, whether as an opening song or closing credit! The song is called ‘Genius’ and is sung by an upcoming British band called ‘The Courtesans’. They are a 4 piece band created only a few years ago and are gaining a large fan-base throughout the UK.Their sound is quite unique, and the song mentioned is very mysterious, yet, to my ears, has that classic Bond sound. I have posted a link to The Courtesans website in the box above. The video for genius is included below.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this,

Kind regards,
Mark Anderson

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfY_myDFFQ

May 12th, 2015 | Mark Anderson

Dear Mr. Newman,

First of all, thanks for writing all this wonderful music I love listening to great soundtracks.

I am writing to you because I have written some soundtracks for movies, and especially a new score, that would be great for a new James Bond Movie. However I dont know who to contact or to send a demo to ? I therefore hope you would be so kind to guide me with a link/contact.

I am a danish composer based in Copenhagen. The soundtrak I have written, has the classic Bond sound in it but new and melodic. You can hear one of the pop songs I released – however do not compare with the soundtrack !

Kind regards
Michael W. Larsen

September 7th, 2016 | Michael Wetterstein Larsen