[ Students & Alumni ]

Violinist David Radzynski ’12MM appointed concertmaster of Israel Philharmonic

Radzynski was one of thirty violinists invited to audition for music director Zubin Mehta
January 7, 2015

radzynski_davidThe Israel Philharmonic Orchestra has appointed David Radzynski ’12MM as its concertmaster. Radzynski, from Columbus, Ohio, was selected following an audition that ended on Dec. 19 in Tel Aviv, Israel. He will assume his position in March 2015.

Thirty violinists were invited to compete for the position through a pre-screening process by the Orchestra. Radzynski, one of four finalists, earned the appointment after performing Johannes Brahms’ Violin Concerto alongside the IPO and maestro Zubin Mehta. He was announced as unanimous winner by the jury after only five minutes of deliberation.

“I am still trying to digest all that is happening,” said Radzynski. “It is such an incredible honor. I would not have succeeded if it weren’t for Ben Sayevich and the incredible support I have received.”

Video: David plays Ravel’s Tzigane in a recent recital at the International Center for Music.

WATCH + LISTEN

“From the first time I heard David play, I knew he was a major talent,” said Sayevich, distinguished Lithuanian-Israeli violinist and professor of violin in the ICM. “I am so thrilled that he is being recognized by world-renowned musicians such as Mehta.”

Radzynski, who earned his Masters of Music from Yale in 2012, won the Columbus Symphony Orchestra Young Musicians Competition in 2001, he later appeared as soloist with the Polish National Philharmonic in Warsaw, and was awarded first prize in the solo competition (senior division) of the American String Teachers’ Association. He is currently an Artist Diploma student at Park University’s International Center for Music.

The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra was founded by violinist Bronisław Huberman in 1936, at a time when many Jewish musicians were being fired from European orchestras. Its inaugural concert took place in Tel Aviv on December 26, 1936, and was conducted by Arturo Toscanini. The IPO presents a variety of concert series throughout the season including special concerts for the Israeli Defense Forces. The IPO also tours the world’s cultural centers and prestigious festivals annually, and contributes to the absorption of new immigrant musicians. The Orchestra has hosted many of the world’s greatest conductors and soloists, while developing Israeli artists and young talents throughout Israel and abroad. MORE INFO

COMMENTS ( 2 )

Some 70+ years ago, as a young violin student, I played an etude for the right wrist for the violin by Kazorty. (I am not sure of the spelling.) I have tried to transcribe the piece from memory for my granddaughter but I have hit a snag in the middle.
I have scoured the music stores in the USA and other sources on the Internet, but I can find no mention of Kazorty. My teacher then was Moshe Hopenko who founded the now defunct Conservatorion Shulamit in Tel aviv. He was a friend of Yasha Cheifetz.
I am hoping that somebody in your organization is familiar with the composer and may lead me to acquire a copy of his book of studies for the violin.

My profound thanks in advance,

Zamir Bavel

January 31st, 2015 | Zamir Bavel

Hello Zamir,

Try:
Editio Musica Budapest sold by Boosey and Hawkes
“Violinschule” band 1-V
Sándor
JárdÁnyi
Szervánssky

The word you are looking up possibly means “studies”

April 6th, 2015 | Esther