News > Students, Faculty + Alumni
Back to News Browse
Students, Faculty + Alumni

Guitarist Yuri Liberzon '07 MM releases debut recording, "Ascension"

liberzon-cover-web

Russian-Israeli guitarist Yuri Liberzon '07 MM has released his debut album, Ascension. The solo instrumental album features compositions by Bach, the Beatles, and Keith Jarrett.

Classical music critic Dan Cohen at The Muse’s Muse wrote: “...he's all about melody, all about communication, all about heart. It's his Ascension, to be sure, but he wants to take us with him. My advice to you—drop everything and go!”

Yuri’s success in the United States began with full scholarships to study with Manuel Barrueco at the Peabody Conservatory of the Johns Hopkins University, and Benjamin Verdery at the Yale School of Music. Mr. Liberzon completed his Graduate Performance Diploma and bachelor’s degree from Peabody and then his master’s degree from Yale.

Pieces on the album include the Chaconne from J.S. Bach’s Partita No. 2 In D Minor For Solo Violin, BWV 1004, as well as jazz pianist Keith Jarrett’s Köln Concert Part IIc.

Liberzon writes in the album notes: “This recording symbolizes my ascension as musician and human through the passage of time. It showcases music that resonated with me from when I was a kid back in Russia, teenager in Israel, and my adult life in the USA. In no way is this album a representation of the peak of my ascension, but rather a milestone on my way towards it.”

The album also showcases talent and resources of the San Francisco Bay area: it was performed on a 2011 guitar by Santa Cruz luthier Gil Carnal, recorded at the Robert Blitzer Art Gallery in Santa Cruz, mastered at Michael Romanowski Mastering in San Francisco, and produced by Yuri Liberzon and Nahuel Bronzini.

WEBSITE