News > Students, Faculty + Alumni
Back to News Browse
Students, Faculty + Alumni

Inside YSM: Sun-A Park '16AD '17MMA, piano

Sun-A Park

Pianist Sun-A Park ’16AD ’17MMA was recently selected to compete at the prestigious Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, which is scheduled to take place in late May and early June in Fort Worth, Texas.

Asked how studying with Boris Berman at YSM has prepared her for that opportunity, Sun-A said, “Professor Berman encouraged me to make the most musical decisions, provided insights into the repertoire I am performing, and stirred an intellectual curiosity within myself. I don’t know if he has prepared me just for this opportunity. He always believed in me and helped to maximized my abilities.”

Of her approach to practicing for the competition, Sun-A said, “I try not to make a big deal out of it. I am playing piano — in a practice room or on a huge stage — every day, so it should feel normal, natural. Professor Berman once gave me a pep-talk during my lesson, saying, ‘Don’t believe anyone when they tell you that you are the best pianist. Also don’t believe them when they tell you that you are the worst pianist. Let them judge, but only you know what you really are.’ I think it’s really true.”