[ how to apply ]
String Quartet Fellowship
The String Quartet Fellowship offers an exceptional young quartet the opportunity to work closely with the Brentano String Quartet in a residency program at Yale School of Music.
The program is designed to mentor the next generation of professional string quartets, offering intensive training, coaching, and ample performance opportunities, offered within the support of the nurturing and inspiring musical community of the Yale School of Music.
The structure of the program allows groups to pursue concert and competition activities, while being active members of the Yale School of Music community, connecting with the public through performances, teaching, outreach, and other creative and collaborative channels. For this reason, the group is expected to live in New Haven. The program’s flexible structure allows groups the freedom to travel and pursue opportunities away from campus during their residency.
Yale School of Music invites applications from young professional quartets that have been in existence for at least one year. The aggregate age of the group must not exceed 120 years.
The appointment offers the following:
• one-year residency, renewable for a second year
• intensive coachings from the Brentano String Quartet
• stipend of $15,000 per quartet member
• performance and outreach opportunities as assigned by the Yale School of Music
• teaching assistant responsibilities
• recital in Sprague Memorial Hall each year
• invitation to the Norfolk Chamber Music Festival as resident quartet
As part of the online application, the Primary Contact for the group must include:
• Individual Bios for each quartet member
• Group bio
• Repertoire List
• Two (2) letters of recommendation
Pre-screening and Audition Repertoire
Prescreening Recording (Video required)
- Three contrasting movements by three different composers from the standard Quartet repertoire. One movement must be by Mozart, Haydn, or Beethoven
Live Audition: prepare three complete works by three different composers. One work must be by Mozart, Haydn, or Beethoven.
Only one member of the ensemble should fill out the online application. This person will be considered the “Primary Contact” for the group.
The Primary Contact must be prepared to include the following information about each quartet member:
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Individual bio
When selecting the application type, please choose “2019 String Quartet Fellowship.” Only one application fee is required for the ensemble.
String Quartet Fellowship applicants do not need to submit TOEFL scores or academic transcripts.