[ how to apply ]
Collaborative Piano Fellowship
There are no fellowship openings for the fall of 2018
The Collaborative Piano Fellowship offers the opportunity to three outstanding pianists to further their training in collaborative piano and to work with Yale School of Music instrumental students and faculty. Fellows should have extensive knowledge of standard repertoire to be able to provide coaching and insight to the YSM students they work with. The Fellows will be integrated and active members of the School of Music community and for this reason should reside in New Haven.
Concurrent to the goal of obtaining practical training while at the School of Music, the Collaborative Piano Fellow program is structured to allow individuals to occasionally be able pursue a limited amount of outside concert and competition activities with prior approval from the Dean or Deputy Dean, while also being active members of the Yale School of Music community, connecting with the public through performances, teaching, doing outreach, and participating in other creative and collaborative channels.
The Yale School of Music invites applications from pianists who have completed a Master’s degree or higher in either solo piano or collaborative piano within the past five years. Individuals enrolled in a degree program for the upcoming academic year are not eligible to apply.
- one-year residency, renewable for a second year
- stipend of $30,000
- health benefits
- an average of twenty hours of accompaniment weekly for recitals, masterclasses, lessons, and studio seminars
- coachings with Yale School of Music instrumental faculty
- fellows will provide coaching to YSM instrumental students in areas of interpretation, voicing, and musical leadership
- one applicant with demonstrated administrative experience will be designated as a Senior Fellow to coordinate collaboration assignments for an additional stipend
As part of the online application, the applicant must include the following:
- curriculum vitae*
- two letters of recommendation
- pre-screening recordings
- application fee: $80
*Curriculum vitae should address your musical background and any employment or administrative experience
Pre-screening and Audition Repertoire
Pre-screening Recordings (video strongly preferred)
- with an instrumentalist, two contrasting movements of different styles from different periods
- one piece for solo piano
Applicants should be available for a live audition in New Haven. Specific repertoire, likely adhering to the following guidelines, will be provided with the audition invitation:
- one piece with a string player
- one piece with a wind player
- one piece for solo piano
When selecting the application type, please choose “2018 Collaborative Piano Fellowship.”
Collaborative Piano Fellowship applicants do not need to submit TOEFL scores or academic transcripts.