campus life

New Student Checklist


Prepare to begin your degree program at the Yale School of Music.

April 15: Respond to Yale Admissions Offer

Log into your online account to respond to Yale’s offer of admission and pay the registration deposit of $500 USD. (Incoming Institute of Sacred Music students should not pay this deposit. Instead, follow deposit instructions in your ISM paperwork.)

Activate Your Net ID

After submitting your registration deposit, you will receive a series of emails with instructions for activating your Yale email address and NetID. Checking your Yale e-mail account is mandatory. If you would like, you may forward your Yale email to your personal account.

Important: Your financial aid award letter will be sent to your Yale email address. You will not be able to accept your financial aid package until your Yale email account is active.

Late April: Accept Your Financial Aid


The Financial Aid Information Booklet for the 2020-2021 academic year provides useful information about loans, the federal work-study program, instrument/repair loans, and more.

A financial aid award notice will be sent by email to your new address. Look for an email from in late April. In order for your scholarship and fellowship to be processed; you need to officially accept them. Instructions will be included in the email.

A full-tuition award and fellowship (stipend) are made to all students who are admitted to the Yale School of Music with the exception of those receiving awards from other agencies. The fellowship amount is listed in your acceptance letter. 

*Note for DMA students: a continuing registration fee is charged for the three and a half non-resident years (seven semesters). 

Estimated Budget for School of Music students:
Room & Board: $12,000
Books & Music: $750
Personal: $1,100
Health Insurance: $2,548
Tuition: $35,000

Total: $51,408

April: Graduate Housing Applications

Graduate Housing applications (for graduate dorms and on-campus apartments) will be made available in April. Don't delay–University housing fills up quickly. Visit Student Life + Housing for more information about housing options (on and off-campus) at Yale.

Watch the Yale Housing Webinar learn how to apply for housing, choose a dormitory or apartment, sign the lease agreement, and more.

May 31: Upload Yale ID photo

upload photo

Upload your photo by May 31 for your Yale photo ID.

May 1: Student Visa Paperwork Due


If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must apply for an I-20 from Yale and a student visa from the U.S. Embassy. The YSM Office of Admissions must receive certain documentation on or before May 1 (detailed below).

Student Visa: I-20 Instructions

You will need to apply for two important documents in order to enroll in school in the United States:

  1. an I-20 or DS-2019, issued by Yale University

  2. student visa, issued by the U.S. Embassy

The U.S. government requires you to submit documentation (including bank statements) to YSM’s Office of Admissions to prove that you are financially able to support your education. We ask that you submit this paperwork by May 1.

You must submit bank statements and affidavits (instructions outlined below) to the Yale School of Music Office of Admissions. Please expect an email from the Office of Admissions upon receipt of your enrollment deposit with detailed instructions regarding how to submit your documents.

The amount you must show in your bank statements equals the total estimated cost of tuition and living expenses for one year ($51,408) MINUS your full-tuition scholarship ($35,000) MINUS your fellowship listed in your admissions letter. The remaining cost is the amount you must show. You must submit bank statements or other documentation proving that you possess at least this amount in liquid funds. The bank statement(s) must be in English (issued in English by the bank or translated by a certified translator—not translated by you).

The bank statements may be in your name, a sponsor’s name, or a combination of both. If you submit a bank statement from a sponsor (a family member or close friend agreeing to provide financial support), the sponsor must submit an Affidavit of Support (click download button above) to YSM’s Office of Admissions. 

(The U.S. Embassy might also require your sponsor to complete form I-134.)

If you have any questions about the financial documentation, please contact the YSM Office of Admissions by phone at 203 432-4155 or email gradmusic.admissions@yale.eduPlease do not contact the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) about these forms.


Applying for a Visa

Please refer to this checklist from the Office of International Students & Scholars:

  1. Required Financial Certification. Complete and return the required financial certification documents (see I-20 Instructions) to the School of Music.
  2. E-mail from OISS. You will receive an e-mail from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) requesting further information. The email will provide instructions for obtaining an immigration document (an I-20 or DS-2019). You must respond to this email.
  3. F-1 or J-1. Almost all international students come to the Yale School of Music using the F-1 student visa. However, students using a significant amount of non-personal funds to finance their Yale education may prefer and be eligible for J-1 status, particularly if their spouse is accompanying them and wants to work in the United States. Learn more about the difference.
  4. Issuing the I-20. With the required personal data and financial certification documents, the U.S. Government Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) will produce the form I-20 (or DS-2019 for J-1 status). The Yale School of Music will send your I-20 to you by FedEx.
  5. SEVIS Fee. All new students applying for F-1 or J-1 status — with the exception of those currently studying in the U.S. — must pay a SEVIS fee ($200 for F-1 status). Click here for instructions for paying the fee.
  6. Applying for the Student Visa. Apply early! After you receive your I-20, the next step is to apply for a student visa. Click here for details. You will need to bring your I-20 form, SEVIS Fee receipt, and a copy of your financial documents to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy. You should check the home page of the particular U.S. consulate or embassy to make sure you have all the required forms and fees. Student visas can be issued as early as 120 days before the beginning date noted on the I-20 form, so we encourage students to apply as early as possible. Students in certain countries and/or studying in certain fields may experience lengthy delays in the processing of their student visa applications.
  7. Canadian Students. Students who are citizens of Canada must obtain a student visa, but are not required to visit a U.S. embassy in person. They must obtain an I-20 from Yale University and present the I-20 and a valid passport at the U.S. port of entry, receiving a student visa at the border. Be absolutely certain (especially if driving across the border) that you receive an I-94 card at the port of entry marked “F-1” (or “J-1,” if applicable).
  8. Entering the United States. You cannot enter the United States more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on your I-20 form. At the U.S. port of entry, you must present your I-20 form (or DS-2019 for J-1 status) and your passport with a valid visa stamp.
  9. If you are already in the United States and need to transfer your F-1 student status, please carefully read these instructions.
  10. For information about the summer between two programs, visit here.
  11. If you are in the United States under another status (such as H-1B), it is recommended that you depart the United States and return with a student visa. For more information, please contact Mihwa Lee in the OISS to make the necessary arrangements.

June 1: Confirm Opening Week Attendance

All students must be present beginning on Tuesday, September 8, 2020, to attend orientation, placement exams, ensemble auditions, and to meet with academic advisors throughout the week.

You must inform the Deputy Dean’s Office by June 1 of any conflicts. Students who do not attend are subject to a $500 fine.

July 1: Final Transcripts Due

All students must submit final transcripts* by July 1 to the Office of Admissions indicating the completion of prerequisite degrees. Students entering the School of Music’s Master of Music (M.M.) degree program must submit a final transcript indicating the completion of a bachelor’s degree. Students entering the School’s Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.) degree program or the Master of Musical Arts (M.M.A.) degree program must submit a final transcript indicating the completion of a master’s degree. Students entering the School’s Artist Diploma (A.D.) program or the Certificate in Performance program must submit a final transcript indicating the completion of high school.

*You must have your final, official transcripts (sent directly from the school or transcript clearinghouse) mailed or emailed to our office. Our mailing address is listed below. If you expect that your transcripts will arrive after July 1, please alert us immediately by emailing

Mailing address
Office of Admissions
Yale School of Music
PO Box 208246
New Haven, CT 06520-8246

For FedEx, UPS, or DHL
Office of Admissions
Yale School of Music
98 Wall Street
New Haven, CT 06511

August 1: Vaccinations + Health Forms

yale health

Visit the Yale Health's New Graduate and Professional School Students page and print the “Vaccination Record” form and relevant instructions. Bring the form and instructions with you to a health-care provider to complete.

Beginning in late June, visit the Yale Medicat Incoming Student Vaccination Portal. In Medicat, enter your Yale Net ID and set up a password; answer some basic questions; enter the dates of all your vaccinations; upload your forms and documentation for verification; await verification for one to five business days; and respond, if necessary, to requests for further information or corrective action.

August 1: Student Documents in ArtsVision


By August 1, all incoming students will have access to ArtsVision, the School of Music’s student portal for calendars, room reservations, important documents, and more.


Yale Teaching Application

If you are interested in teaching undergraduate/secondary lessons at Yale, you may sign up through ArtsVision when the application for the 2020–2021 school year becomes available. Applications will be due in September.


Gig List + Lessons Registration

Are you interested in performance opportunities in the Greater New Haven area? Register for the YSM Gig and Community Lessons Lists in ArtsVision to receive automated emails about opportunities for your instrument(s).

Please note that in order to register to teach community lessons, you must also apply to teach secondary/undergraduate lessons (also in ArtsVision).


Chamber Music

The questionnaire will become available soon.

August 31: Course Registration

Course registration will become available August 31, 2020. Please note that you cannot register for history or musicianship and analysis classes until after the placement exams in late August/early September, at which point you will be automatically registered.

Update your Personal Data

Yale's SIS

After you move to New Haven, access Yale’s Student Information System and update the information on the “Personal Data” tab, specifically your New Haven address and telephone number, billing address, biographical information, and emergency contacts.

e-Bill + Payment Plans


Yale University uses the ebill-epay system and sends bills through your Yale email account only. You can also access your ebill through the SIS system. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor and review their monthly account statements.

Tuition and fees for the fall term are billed on or about July 1 and payment is due the first business day of August, likewise the spring term is billed on November 1 and payment is due the first business day of December. A late fee of $125 per month is assessed if the balance due is not paid in full by the due date. Late fees are assessed on the August, September, and October statements for the fall charges and December, January, and February for the spring term charges.

Financial aid will appear on the account statements as anticipated credits provided the form is received by the due date. It could be your financial aid is enough to cover your balance due and you will not have a payment due for the August due date. Financial aid is split evenly between the fall and spring term.

Please visit the Yale Student Accounts website for information about setting up your financial accounts at Yale using the e-Bill e-Pay system. 


Yale Payment Plan

The University’s Office of Student Financial Services provides options to parents and students for paying education expenses on a monthly basis. Visit the Student Accounts Payment Plan page to enroll.

opening week dates + deadlines

September 4 + 11: New International Student Orientation


The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) will host two orientations for School of Music students. If you wish to receive a Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization, you must attend an orientation. To begin work as soon as possible, please plan to attend the first session, which is held before the start of School of Music classes. More information about registering for these sessions will be sent out in late summer.

September 8: First Day of School

New student orientation begins on Tuesday, September 8, 2020. All students must be present beginning September 8 to attend orientation, placement exams, ensemble auditions, and to meet with academic advisors throughout the week

Attendance is mandatory. You must inform the Deputy Dean’s Office by June 1 of any conflicts. Students who do not attend are subject to a $500 fine.

September 11: Media Release Forms + Press Kit


Please submit a signed Unlimited Media Release form by September 11.

Please submit a color photograph (high resolution, 300 dpi) to the Concert Office by September 11. These materials are an important part of professional practice and allow us to promote concerts and events that you may be a part of.

All forms can be found in ArtsVision.

September 15: Health Insurance

yale health

All students are automatically enrolled in Yale Health Basic Coverage for free, as well as Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage for a fee. Please review the coverage and decide if you wish to waive the Yale Health Hospitalization/Specialty Care coverage.

The online waiver form becomes available in mid-June and is due September 15. For more information regarding coverage, please visit the Yale Health website.

Yale also offers dental and eye-care programs to graduate- and professional-school students. The enrollment website will open briefly in August. Visit for more information.

*Note for DMA students: health insurance is required for all five years that you are registered in the program.