Practice room reservations and policies
August 30, 2020
Dear YSM students,
We’re excited to welcome you to New Haven and to begin the fall 2020 semester, different as it will be from any we’ve experienced before. We know that each and every one of you is eager to settle into routines and to focus your attention on practicing and making music. We ask that you join us in keeping yourselves and one another safe.
Please know that anyone entering any Yale building must sign and abide by the health guidelines set forth in the Yale Community Compact.
Beginning Sept. 1, practice rooms in Hendrie Hall will be available for use between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Beginning Sept. 8, practice rooms in Hendrie Hall will be available for use between 8 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. on weekdays and between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. on weekends. Practice-room reservations can be made through ArtsVision (see below) up to 48 hours in advance, beginning today, Sunday, Aug. 30.
Most faculty studios in Hendrie Hall and Leigh Hall will be available for lessons and practice beginning Sept. 8. Faculty-studio coordinators will manage and schedule the use of those rooms and will reach out to you soon.
Please note: There are no practice rooms available for use in Sprague Memorial Hall or at 320 Temple St.
As you organize and schedule practice time in Yale School of Music facilities, please familiarize yourself with our practice-room policies.
Availability and reservations
- Practice rooms in Hendrie Hall will be available for individual use beginning Sept. 1. Students affiliated with the Institute of Sacred music will not have access to YSM facilities and should instead use rooms at the ISM.
- Practice rooms in Sprague Memorial Hall and at 320 Temple St. are closed for the fall term.
- Rooms must be reserved through ArtsVision (see below) in advance. No walk-ins, no exceptions.
- Each YSM student may reserve one, three-hour block of practice per day. Reservations may be made up to 48 hours in advance, beginning Aug. 30.
- Practice rooms will remain locked when not in use and empty, for at least one hour between reservations, to allow for air turnover.
- Only one individual is allowed in each room.
- You may remove your mask only once you are inside and alone in a practice room.
- Do not eat in the practice room. Only water is permitted.
- Please follow physical-distancing, mask-wearing, and safety guidelines when leaving the practice room to use a restroom or water-bottle refilling station.
- Failure to follow health and safety guidelines puts you and others at risk. Students who repeatedly fail to comply with these guidelines may have their practice-room privileges revoked.
- Cleaning instructions will be posted in each room.
Arrival and sign-in
- Students must sign-in at the table in the student lounge in Hendrie Hall. Please follow the signage and maintain a distance of six feet between yourself and others at all times.
- Arrive five minutes before your scheduled reservation to sign-in and gain access to your room.
- Students may be asked to wait for the next available practice-room monitor to unlock their reserved room.
Departure and sign-out
- Please leave the practice room promptly at the end of your practice session and make your way to the table in the student lounge in Hendrie Hall to sign out.
- Students must sign out at the same table at which they signed in. Do not use other exits, do not leave the building without signing out.
- Students who leave Hendrie Hall before the end of their three-hour reservation and plan to return should alert a practice-room monitor.
Reserving a practice room in ArtsVision
- Go to music.yale.edu/artsvision and log in using the “Yale NetID Log in” button.
- Using the menu, click on “Room Requests.”
- Select a date and use the “Rooms” drop-down menu to choose what kind of available rooms you’d like to see.
- Select “Click to Reserve” the slot of your choice.
- Read the guidelines and select “I Agree—Confirm Reservation.”
- Your reservation will now appear in the “—My Events—" filter on your calendar.
- To cancel a reservation, select “Click to Release” and confirm your cancelation.