2019-2020 Financial Aid Handbook

Mailing Address

Office of Student Services
Yale School of Music
P.O. Box 208246
New Haven, CT 06520-8246

Online Resources

Student Guide
Yale Student Financial Services Brochure
Yale Student Accounts

[ admissions ]

Financial Aid

A full tuition award and fellowship are made to all students who are admitted to the Yale School of Music, with the exception of those receiving awards from other agencies.

The following steps serve as a guide to obtaining loans for living expenses and fees. This page also includes information about grants available to students. Please do not hesitate to contact the the Office of Financial Aid with any questions.

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

To apply for a federal student loan or federal work study, students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).


Yale School Code: 001426

After receiving the information requested above, the Financial Aid office is able to determine how much a student is eligible to borrow and how to proceed.

Federal Loan Information US Students


Student Employment

In additional to financial aid, there are many paid positions for student work. The Music in Schools Initiative and the Undergraduate Lessons program provide teaching opportunities for current students. Students earn $25 per hour if hired for these activities. In addition, pianists may be hired as accompanists, and there are many administrative and operations jobs at the school that pay $11–$15 per hour.


Billing and Account Statements

Yale University uses the ebill-epay system and sends bills through your Yale email account only. You can also access your ebill through the SIS system. It is the student’s responsibility to monitor and review their monthly account statements.

Tuition and fees for the fall term are billed on or about July 1 and payment is due the first business day of August, likewise the spring term is billed on November 1 and payment is due the first business day of December. A late fee of $125 per month is assessed if the balance due is not paid in full by the due date. Late fees are assessed on the August, September, and October statements for the fall charges and December, January, and February for the spring term charges.

Financial aid will appear on the account statements as anticipated credits provided the form is received by the due date. It could be your financial aid is enough to cover your balance due and you will not have a payment due for the August due date. Financial aid is split evenly between the fall and spring term.

International Students

Students coming from countries which have currency restrictions should make necessary arrangements before arriving so that they will have access to funds to be used for living expenses. Also, before an I-20 will be issued, students must give appropriate evidence of support. If you are being supported by a foreign government or agency, you must have a signed statement attesting to the level and time period of your support. There are no loans available for international students.

Belding Fund

The Belding Fund provides some financial assistance to students who travel for professional engagements, including performances, auditions, and competitions.

If you would like to apply to the Belding Fund, please read the guidelines carefully and submit a request for pre-approval.




Gainful Employment Disclosure

The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to disclose a variety of information for any financial aid eligible program that “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. At the School of Music, the Certificate in Performance program is subject to this regulation. The information provided here describes the graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information regarding gainful employment.


Refunds of Credit Balances

If your financial aid (scholarship & loans) exceeds your balance due and a credit balance is created, you may request a refund of the credit balance to use for your living expenses. Students do not have access to credit balances until the first day of classes. If you expect to receive a refund of your credit balance you will need to request the refund at www.yale.edu/sis. You may receive the refund in one of two forms; check or electronic funds transfer. If you elect to receive a check, please be aware there is a 3-day waiting period before a check can be issued. The most common and quickest way to receive your refund is through electronic funds transfer (EFT). To sign up for Direct Deposit go to the SIS website and fill out the form for Direct Deposit by indicating your checking account number and the routing number for your bank. Once you completed this, you will then need to request the refund also at the SIS website. The refund will be processed within 48 hours. Please note – due to high volume the first week of classes it may take a little longer to get your refund, possibly up to 1 week.